Thursday, October 1, 2009

# 10 - Photos and Videos - Flickr and YouTube

Crediting DavidGaleStudios' photostream on Flickr for this image of a variation on the standard Borg cube.

















Playing around with the images on Flickr - a bit hard to drag yourself away once you start looking around in there. I did find however that not all images on Flickr were available to me to publish on my blog. Some of the images are by professional photographers and/or are gif files which I found I couldn't use. This applied to the first image I tried for which was of a Borg cube that someone had made from Lego - - -
My own public library, Eastern Regional Libraries, has used Flickr to allow users to see how the renovations of library branches are proceeding. I could imagine it also being used for various teaching aspects- because you can put what they call "Hot Spots" on images it means that you can put labels on scientific or other images.
I've also seen instances where it was used to display the entries in photography competitions which seemed a good way to make them accessible for everyone. A reasonably pleasant surprise for me was to find the the Encyclopedia of Life was using Flickr to run photographic competitions on various aspects of wildlife photography and I think that meant too that those images could potentially be used on that website eventually.

I then had a look at some of the suggested sites on "You Tube". I've never really looked at "You Tube" much before although I imagine many of the emails - containing short clips - that I have been sent at different times are picked up from this site. Although I get a little tired of many of our patrons spending untold hours on this site I can see how it can be easy to fall into the trap - -
Once I had looked at the suggested domino clip then there were links to all these other domino clips - - and then more links - -
In "ScienceHack" some of the filtering work ( most, and maybe all, the clips seem to come from "YouTube") has been done for you in terms of identifying real science clips. I had a bit of a look around "Robotics" and couldn't resist having a look at the "Cockroach Controlled Mobile Robot".
In contrast, as least as far as I can tell, "TeacherTube" isn't mediated or controlled in any way. There probably is very worthwhile material there but you'll have to do the "separating the wheat from the chaff" as they say.






No comments: