Thursday, October 8, 2009

#11 - More Web 2.0 Applications & Library 2.0

The Web 2.0 awards were awarded differently to what I was originally expecting. There are certainly things there that I am familiar with and we have practical uses for in the library, such as del.icio.us, wikis plus things such as Google Maps with obvious value when used on other sites. I imagine most of the sites are chosen because they do something new and do it in new ways but so much of this seems to me to be "style" over "substance". I guess what happens is that many of these fall by the wayside and the ones that actually do something useful in a better way develop and become mainstream tools. However, some are just new ways to choose to be bombarded with information - such as Twitter ( which could be useful I guess if you choose to follow someone/some group with something of value to say).
The "Flock" widget ( 2nd in it's category) for instance, if my understanding is correct, allows you to keep track of social activity on sites like Twitter, MySpace, Facebook, Flickr, and others in a sidebar that follows them no matter what site they're on. This sort of thing - as someone who uses none of these - just makes my head spin - - -

No comments: